» Tips: Bathroom Design Ideas - Can I Design My Own Bathroom?
Tips: Bathroom Design Ideas - Can I Design My Own Bathroom?
Tags: Countertop Installation, Home Improvement, Bathroom Remodeling, General Construction, Remodeling
Bathroom Design Ideas - Can I Design My Own Bathroom?
Free Bathroom Renovation Estimates
By: David Buster
A bathroom designs idea - can I really design my own bathroom? Why not! Today, the bathroom is much more than just a room for grooming and a place to read. Bathrooms can be a good place for home exercise equipment and a good music system or TV, for example. What better way to unwind from the day than a soothing shower or warm soak in the tub with candles and relaxing music. So start a notebook. When you get a bathroom designs idea, write it down. Soon you will have defined the bathroom that is just right for you.
Design my own bathroom? You bet you can! When designing your own bathroom, some of the questions you should ask (and answer) include:
- How big will the bathroom be? Bathroom sizes include:
- Master bathroom or luxury bathroom - includes toilet, bidet, two sinks, separate tub and shower, whirlpool or spa and perhaps more, depending on your budget. Some master bathrooms are large enough to have exercise equipment, and they are subdivided into smaller compartments for privacy depending on what is needed.
- Full bathroom - includes toilet, sink, and combination tub/shower plumbed along one wall. Typical dimensions are 5x7 or 5x8 feet.
- Half bathroom - includes sink and toilet only. It can be placed on the main floor of your home to reduce the morning rush, and the family doesn't have to go upstairs to use the toilet. Common dimensions are between 3x6 and 4x5 feet, about the size of a smaller closet.
- Small bathroom - includes corner shower stall, toilet and sink and typical dimensions are 6x6 feet.
- Childrens bathroom - can be a three-quarter bathroom or full bathroom depending on the size of your home and how many children you have. Children's bathrooms should have plenty of storage and cubbies that are safe and colorful. If several kids will use the same bathroom, a wall or half wall between the toilet and the rest of the bathroom may be a good idea.
- Guest bathroom - can be a three-quarter bathroom or a full bathroom.
- Are you planning to have convenient storage in the bathroom? A design my own bathroom person will always include bathroom storage. You can find a combination sink/vanity for extra storage. A great bathroom designs idea is you can never have too much bathroom storage!
(Get Free Estimates)
Use the wall space wisely with shelves or cabinets over the commode or almost anywhere in the bathroom. Consider using corner shelves, and hang towel bars above one another. Add a medicine cabinet with mirror to your bathroom to store grooming supplies, medicine or toiletries. Traditionally, the medicine cabinet was always located above the vanity or sink, but nowadays you can place it elsewhere in the bathroom. Add a shower caddy to your corner shower for extra storage.
- Do you have enough lighting planned for your bathroom? Natural light is an important element in bathrooms. A window, a wall or roof skylight will bring in natural light, a view or a dramatic skyscape. Having a skylight that opens is great because moisture build-up is reduced.
Artificial lighting is also vital and often overlooked in a bathroom. Without good lighting, the decor and the personality of your bathroom can not be developed properly. Lighting for your bathroom can be natural and manufactured. Lighting should be used to brighten and define the space since both can affect your mood and how you feel inside your home.
- Another bathroom design idea - what about ventilation? If you live in climates prone to mold and mildew, you should install an exhaust fan in your bathroom. Ventilating fans are sized by the number of cubic feet of air they move each minute (cfm). A design my own bathroom person will have a good ventilation system that can move the air from the bathroom to the outdoors about eight times per hour or once every 7 or 8 minutes. Bathrooms generate humidity and moisture that can penetrate ceilings, floors and countertops. Remove odors and humidity from a bathroom by installing a power ventilator large enough to do the job. You do not want your walls to break into a sweat every time someone showers.
Design my own bathroom? Go for it! A design my own bathroom person will read as much as possible, thinking through what is wanted and needed in this important room. A bathroom designs idea will range from materials used to the bathroom layout to the finished colors. Having a successful bathroom project is about making informed decisions while planning and while building. Continue the process of learning as much as you can before building begins. How much can you spend, what style will the bathroom be, what size ventilation should you have and so on. Your answer to each bathroom designs idea question is what will guide you so you'll have the best bathroom ever.
Find Bathroom Remodeling Estimates.
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
About the Author: David Buster is VP of InfoSearch Publishing and webmaster of www.yourdreamloghome.com where you can learn more about bathroom layout, lighting, storage, bathroom vanities, small bathrooms, childrens bathrooms and much more.